Friday, August 2, 2013

When I Was Just A Little Girl

When I Was Just A Little Girl


When I was just a little girl
around the age of 5
I fell in love with daddy
the most handsomest man alive
When I was 10 I realized
my daddy was so strong
with super hero powers
fighting monsters all night long
I was daddys little girl until
a rebel teen I became
Then dad's rules were overbaring
and his advice was really lame
We argued over everything
like where I was and why
because dad was such a worrier
often times I'd lie
Then one day he caught me and
I knew that I was busted
My punishment was in his eyes
when I saw I was no longer trusted
I said I'd earn it back someday
I made my dad a vow
Someday I'd prove myself to you
Someday I'd make you proud
Then when I was 20 dad took his place
to walk me down the isle
He took my hand and looked at me
and said with his crooked smile
You know, you're still my little girl
I'll always be your dad
Through tears streaming down his face
no eyes could look that sad
I didn't understand it then
but he tried to let me know
although his heart was breaking bad
he had to let me go
I moved so far away from home
but tried to stay in touch
years went by and life went on
I didn't see my dad so much
At 30 I came home again
failed marriage, broke, depressed
What a disappointment I felt to my dad
because my life was such a mess
Dad took me in and set me straight
with firm loving words of wealth
Get off your lazy butt and make
somebody of yourself *smiles*
He wouldn't let me give up
no matter how hard for me things got
I worked two jobs and raised a child alone
Dads encouragement helped alot
Then when I was 38
I walked down another isle
in cap and gown with honors
I looked up to see dads smile
I made it dad I thought right then
I saw my biggest fan
His love, support and faith in me
has made me who I am
Throughout my years of stubborness
and foolish pride against dad
not fully understanding or
appreciating what I had
I didn't see how the years went by
or perhaps I was afraid
My father had grown old and ill
from the sacrifices that he made
I broke his heart so many times
and yet he could forgive
because his lesson from his life was
not how to die but how to live
At 43 on Fathers Day
I thank God for all dad gave
and today I'll say a little prayer
upon my fathers grave
Thank you dad for everything
your strength, your faith, your love
Forever from your little girl
'til we meet again above.

No comments:

Popular Posts